About Me

My photo
I'm turning 40 this year so I guess it's time to figure out who I am. I can tell you basics. I'm married to my best friend Paul. Have 6 great kids. Two doggies, a spoiled rotten cat, and two snakes. I currently work as a nurse. I am a major book worm. Read every chance I get.

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Turning 40

Okay tomorrow is the day I turn 40. I've been thinking about it like a vain woman. Thinking more wrinkles will crease my face and those grays I've been fighting for years will start to outnumber Miss Clairol. But..I've reached a peace with it. I thought today of all the changes I've been through in the last ten years...lost a ton of weight, gained three children, met the man I love with all my heart, finished one degree and working now on something else.

Oprah says it well with this "At 40, something magical happens to you--something liberating and rejuvenating and exhilarating. You acquire a healthy disregard for what other people think. You gain the confidence to define yourself boldly and on your own terms. You don't accept anyone else's judgments but your own. In short, you stop living your life for other people and start living it for yourself. The force is with you because, at long last, it is in you."

I'm looking forward to this! I've always said yes to things when I knew I would have been better off to say NO! I have just never wanted to hurt any ones feelings or make them take on more. Now I'm discovering who I AM! I am healthier now than I've been in years. I am trying to stop the bad habit that I've hung onto. Here's to forty! Bring it on!

9 comments:

  1. Happy Happy 40th Birthday...enjoy it, embrace it, honor it.

    It slips away faster than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Shelby! I hope you enjoy it...and all the accomplishments behind you and the ones yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shelby,
    Have a wonderful birthday! I love your attitude about turning 40...and you are most definitely a fabulous 40!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you are a fabulous 40 Shelby and don't you forget it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday!! Enjoy every minute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I said it on facebook already, but once again Happy Birthday! (This time a little late). This is an inspiring post! I hope you had an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, take it from me. Not much happens in the 40 decade to change things in your appearance, so don't worry about it too much. You'll keep looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy belated Birthday!!! The 40s are great, you'll love it...it's a time to really become the woman you want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated bird day from me too....

    ReplyDelete